The War Memorial, subscribed for by the people of Cahir and district, was erected to the memory of 88 local officers and men who fell in the great war (1914-1918). It was unveiled on 20th November 1930 by Major-General Sir George Franks, K.C.B. The principal dignitaries at the ceremony were Lieut.Colonel R B Charteris, Cahir Park, Major R Murdoch, Kilcoran Lodge, Captain C. Moore, Mooresfort, and Capt. A G Culme-Seymour, Clogheen. The blessing of the Memorial was performed by Very Rev. W.B. O'Donnell, PP., Cahir. The Rector of Cahir, Canon Horace Clifford Deane conducted a religious service.
It was extremely rare for such memorials to be erected in Southern Ireland at this time, and even more so that the British Legion should have obtained such a prominent Main Street site. The memorial has been cared for by relatives and friends of those who are commemorated on it, and an attempt by the County Council in the early 1990s to remove it to the nearby Car Park was firmly resisted by petition. The monument was subsequently cleaned and restored, using voluntary labour. In 1996, it was rededicated to include all local men and women of Cahir and district who have died in armed conflicts at home and abroad.